Monday, April 19, 2010

Update from the Hare: The teacher becomes the student!


(This is how I imagine the teenage boys reacting to Teacher Hare 
- and the similar physical attributes! Off to run and hide. x)

Ok... so it's been a while since my last post... and then it's been a while since my last decent attempt at exercise!

It seems I truly am acting 'The Hare' right now: putting in lots of effort at the start, but not following it through! I am proud of 'The Tortoise', aka 'Girl On A Mission' whose will power, stamina & determination are nothing short of amazing! I genuinely mean it when I say WELL DONE (Although given the supposed depiction of me I currently want to kill her!) Regardless, there is NO WAY you'd find me walking for 90 minutes before and after going to work - I find teaching teenagers exhausting in itself, without starting the day exhausted!

In all honesty, I've fallen out of the routine. I have been doing well at sticking to my aims. To recap:

1. Walking to & from school. Although only a mile – every little counts.

2. Going to aerobics once a week - I'd genuinely like to go twice a week, but sadly have not had the time!

3. Walking at the weekends, at least one day if not both, varying from a short 30 min walk to a shopping spree.

4. Snowdonia killer weekend away with The Tortoise is booked! Crazy? Great opportunity to get some revenge on the Tortoise? Of course!

Sadly, what I have not managed is another loooooooong training session. I am longing to go for another 5-10 mile walk, but have allowed several hurdles to stop me...

It seems I’ve slipped into the habit of telling myself the same excuses that my pupils at school try on me:

Student: "Sorry, I've been busy & not had the time"

Teacher: IT’S JUST ABOUT MANAGING YOUR TIME BETTER. I've found the time to eat, sleep, shop, go on holiday... I could have MADE the time to walk!
---------------------------------------------
Student: "I have slipped out of my normal routine: school term's over, been all over the place visiting friends in the Midlands, going home to Norfolk to see parents; going on holiday to Malta; working bar shifts at my local theatre"

Teacher: EXCUSES, EXCUSES! If anything this should have given me more time and motivation: I may have been away a lot, but I have still had at least 3 days when I could have easily spared a few hours for a long walk, and where better to do it than the beautiful, quiet, flat country lanes in Norfolk!!
---------------------------------------------
Student: "The dog ate my trainers, Miss" ... well ,seriously, they might as well have been eaten by a dog! I realised 2 weeks ago that the sole of one trainer had 80% come away from the remainder of the shoe. Embarrassingly, I discovered this whilst lying on my back in the middle of a Jazzercise class, surrounded by c.200 women whilst trying to do bizarre-leggy-abby-crunch-type-things! CRINGE! Why have I not replaced said trainers? a) completely & utterly broke b) not enough time

Teacher: COULD DO BETTER: I accept no trainers = no walking BUT that's still no excuse: The trainers will have to be replaced anyway before the Moonwalk, so, as good old Nike would say, JUST DO IT!
---------------------------------------------
In my defense, while in Norfolk I have at least still gone for a walk every day for between 1-2 hours at a time. And I can still make amends, as I still have a few days left of my school holidays, which means 3 potential walks! As long as the weather's good, my temporarily 'Bostik'ed trainers should hold out long enough for me to do a decent walk. I can then buy some new shoes when back in Cambridge next week.

On a final note, reading how much willpower, sweat & effort Girl On A Mission is putting in right now, this has shamed me and motivated me into doing more again.

Number of weeks until FINAL MISSION: 9

For now, The (Holiday-Hibernating-Heffalump) Hare xx

No comments:

Post a Comment