Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Difference an Inch Makes - Britney-style

I'm not sure about you, but I can never get that excited about the promise to lose a couple inches off my waist or thigh. Perhaps because its going to take a couple of yards lost to transform me from frump to fabulous. And does anyone else truly notice the difference of a couple less inches anyway (unless you are a practising nudist, then I imagine it matters a great deal) - but seriously who are we really kidding?

However it seems the promise of inch loss is a popular marketing strategy if those fat busting knickers are anything to go by - sold like hot cakes or should that be hot pants?  Aside from the mass of cellulite firming cream now available, the Lytess Slim Wear Leggings are another such example of this inchloss promise. -Here it seems the cellulite busting capabilities of caffeine will help you melt away inches of fat, mainly by stimulating your lymphatic drainage system.  (I'm most definately commiting all sorts of biological science heresy by the previous statement - so please seek professionally medical advice or Google for a more accurate explanation if you're really interested.)

Why she needs them I'm not sure but check out Lytess
 to order a pair of your own, if you're so inclined.

You would think given the amount of caffeine in the chocolate I've consumed over the years my lymphatic system would be like a Grand Prix race course if the magical properties of caffeine really are true. Perhaps it only works when smothered on the problem areas - Nutella covered wrestling matches anyone? Certainly this would increase Nutella sales better than "Give your child Nutella on toast before sending them to school - it's nutritious and delicious." - Seriously who are they really kidding?

I suppose my underlying belief is that weight loss isn't that easy or simple although making it so is the pharmaceutical companies' holy grail.  However the horror stories around Alli are enough to convince me that this is still some way off. (Google these also if you're interested but only if you've got a strong stomach!)  But I also believe that weight loss also shouldn't be too easy - if it were then there would be even less of an argument not to get overweight and unhealthy in the first place. Weight loss is just as much about education about what good health actually is and this is only possible through regular healthy eating and exercise NOT a magic pill (herbal or otherwise) .

Anyway not here to preach, confabulate or bore - just wanted to share something that did make me reassess the difference an inch can really make, for all those other non-believers out there.

For those of you who haven't seen Britney's airbrushed and untouched pics - see below.

Honestly I must admit that Britney looks TOTALLY amazing even without the airbrushing and I love her candour for releasing the untouched images, although Kate Winslet really set the precedent with those GQ pics. Nonetheless, in true girly fascination, I still spent 15 minutes staring at the photos in total spot-the-difference absorption.  It just shows what a difference an inch makes - so like a true convert and the advertisers' dream, I'm off to order myself some caffeine-laced leggings- it can't do any harm afterall! x



Images courtesy of Britney and Marie Claire!

No comments:

Post a Comment