Saturday, April 24, 2010

Review: Maybelline Colossal Mascara Review (diamonds) and Sinful Colors Purple Diamond Polish +

Happy Saturday everybody! :)

Thought I would share my thoughts on a few products that I have been meaning to review for awhile. :)

*~REVIEWS~*

First, Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara - This one in particular is Limited Edition and includes "diamond sparkle"!
With the included $1 coupon, it was about $6-7 after tax

Maybelline Colossal Diamonds

I usually prefer falsies over mascara most days, but this looked like a fun one to try out (diamonds? sparkle? I'm there!) plus Maybelline is pretty well known for their mascaras.

First, I had to use the usual tools

Tools

Revlon Colorstay eyeliner (for lining and "tightlining"), Sonia Kashuk lash brush and separator, Shiseido The Makeup eyelash primer, Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express mascara, Shiseido lash curler

***

Here is the brush with and without flash

You can see hints of *sparkle* without flash
Maybelline Colossal brush

And you can *definitely* see the sparkle with flash!
Maybelline Colossal Diamonds brush flash

***
My naked eyes w/o mascara
Naked eye

And after 1, 2, & 3 coats!

Maybelline Colossal Diamonds coats


Side profile
...You can really see the sparkle up close...
Maybelline Colossal Diamonds side view

Finally, a comparison
Maybelline Colossal Diamonds comparison

Being a volumizing mascara, the formula is quite thick. My lashes, however, are kind of thin & sparse so it's hard to build volume without getting too clumpy or spidery! I had to give my eyelash brush a workout between coats otherwise I would have ended up with a big clumpy mess! :( You can still tell it makes a difference though AND it held a curl for well over 6 hours!

Overall, I felt like the mascara was OK - definitely not HG material. The formula might have been a bit dry since my lashes felt kind of stiff. The sparkle? Well. Unless people are standing THISCLOSE to your face, it really wasn't all that noticeable. People even might think you have lash-druff if they didn't know any better LOL!

Pros: Cheap, big fat brush, holds a curl well, builds volume/length easily
Cons: Requires lots of combing/separating, a bit drying, sparkle is barely noticeable, time consuming process.


Rating: (3/5)

***

2nd Review is Sinful Colors Professional Nail Polish in PURPLE DIAMOND. Purchased at Walgreens for $1.50!

Here it is in natural lighting
Purple diamond natural

And with/without flash
Sinful colors purple diamond

I really don't think pictures do it justice. You have to see it glimmering & shimmering in person to really appreciate how pretty the polish is! It really feels like I am wearing diamonds on my nails! The glitter is superfine and catches the light in the prettiest way - I couldn't stop admiring my nails lol!

It's pretty, princess-y and subtle enough to wear at work - or anywhere for that matter! The perfect pastel-y spring-time color!

The pigmentation in this whole line is so-so, it really depends on the color you purchase. (The Neons apparently don't have any color payoff though they look nice in the bottle) I'm a bigger fan of more subtle colors, so this line works well for me. No problems with chipping yet, usually with a good top coat, this polish will last for weeks!

Pros: Smooth application, gorgeous shimmer/sparkle, CHEAP, lasts at least a week
Cons: Pigmentation isn't like the bottle color, requires around 3 thin coats for the best results, careful with the brush (picks up a lot of polish at a time and can be goopy if you don't wipe the excess off!)


Rating: (4/5)

***

Katie Ngo's Giveaway(s)!!!


Finally, the lovely Katie Ngo is having an AWESOME giveaway with not only one, but TWO winners! This includes either the items below OR a $40 MAC giftcard!

Maybelline Colossal Diamonds

***
Also thought I would try out this headband from my aunt. Initially, I secretly thought it was kinda fug - but after trying it on, I really like it!

Headband

***

YUM ALERT
!

Had the best BEST catfish I have ever had in my life!!! This Vietnamese place in Dallas is DELICIOUS ~ their signature dish is catfish - surprisingly, not even a hint of fishiness - super fresh and sooooo tasty!

You take fresh veggies...

Fresh veggies

...Add them to DIY Spring rolls + special fish sauce...

Pancake

And then pile on tender, flaky, delicious pieces of fish, green onions, and fried shallots

Catfish

The Vietnamese style "Fish Taco" lol

***

Lots of blogger love for Marissa, luckyfinds, Surge, Edwina, Sassy J'adore, Amasiah, & Cornelio!

Have a great weekend, enjoy the fresh spring air (smells like grass and flowers outside!) & stay safe!


Irene


No comments:

Post a Comment