Thursday, May 13, 2010

Defining Success


Started today feeling a like a failure – had to hop on the bus for part on my journey to Hyde Park, as I just couldn’t face walking sufficiently fast to get me to Hyde Park in time for 7am kick off. Then at Boot Camp, I ended up swapping out the impossible Shuttle Runs for a much easier alternative AND I failed to organise a pack lunch today.

HOWEVER – After reading a book review at lunchtime for Laura Munsen’s book, This is not the story you think it is - A Season of Unlikely Happiness , I had a change of heart.

This is an account from a lady who found that her life hadn’t quite met her expectations; most notably her husband wanted a divorce after 20 years of supposedly not loving her. But instead of accepting this as her reality, she decided to re-define her life and her marriage crisis by the things she could control.

Inspired by her example, I decided a mental overhaul was also long overdue and instead of berating myself for all the things I could have done better today, actually I decided that I should be congratulating myself for:

1. Just getting out of bed when the alarm went off at 5am and getting myself to Boot Camp.
2. Walking 3 of the 5.5 miles to work, and 10 miles in total today.
3. Attempting the evil shuttle runs at all and then getting to indulge in some much loved skipping when it got a bit much.
4. Having the foresight to buy a ready made salad from M+S yesterday to eat for lunch today.
5. Resisting the massive plateful of sticky buns taunting me in the office all afternoon.

Sometimes a bit of kindness, even if it is, just to yourself, goes a long way. x

No comments:

Post a Comment