Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Anna's Adventure

Dear Fabulous Readers of My Blog,

The more observant among you will have noticed a new widget on my blog - aimed at signposting you to my fundraising page. Go on - you know you want to - it is virtually painless, quick and you will feel suitably virtuous all day - you may even get high fived by the Cancer Prevention Dude for your awesomeness!!

Though this Mission has been intermittently fun/painful/relentless over the last 10 weeks and the blog has been the motivation to ensure I don't cheat or just give up on my fitness plan, there is a really serious reason for starting this mission and this blog in the first place other than to get my lazy butt of the sofa and into a bikini: namely to do my very little bit for raising awareness and funds for fabulous Cancer Charities.

The most heartfelt inspiration, not to mention fabulous practical resource, as to why you should continue to support Breast Cancer Charities is epitomised by Anna's Adventure (I know myself that I sometimes feel as though Breast Cancer already has a massive profile and question whether it really needs more support when there are so many other cancer charities struggling to get attention let alone other deserving causes). However I want to share Anna's Adventure with you as I love this website as it really made me stop and think and catch my breath, though I should warn you, you might want to get the tissues ready.


I think Anna's Adventure it is an amazing legacy as well as a loving and uplifting tribute for a very courageous and exceptionally talented Doctor who lost her life to breast cancer.  For those that don't know, I work in health care management, including previously working for the Breast Cancer Screening Service in Scotland and I am fantastically proud to be part of an organisation where every person, irrespective of their job title, position or the seemingless thankless task, does their upmost for ever single person in need on a daily basis.

But Anna's story also reminds me how we also too often and unnecesarily get things wrong - at the most critical of times - and at the simplest levels - for example failing to clarify whether a person waiting for chemo can have a cup of tea. If this smart, outspoken and dynamic woman felt lost in a system that she had intimate knowledge of - she herself was a passionate advocate of the NHS - how many other women, men and children in treatment have felt or are feeling equally and unecessarily perplexed?

Bottom line - It is devastating that people die from Cancer - we have made massive headway in earlier detection and better treatment but money is still needed to research and trial even better treatments to shift Cancer from being terminal to a chronic condition, if it cannot be cured altogether.

So please, please check out Anna's Adventure and donate £5.00 or whatever you wish to give TODAY @ Girl on a Mission's Fundraising Page - Although I cannot speak for Anna and anyone who is or knows someone fighting cancer - I'm certain they would be incrediably thankful for your support. As for me and my weary feet, I would be completely thrilled for your support. It will definately make a massive difference to helping me make the final push to speed up my Marathon time.

Much love, Justine (aka. Girl on a Mission) x

No comments:

Post a Comment