Monday, February 7, 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Februlous Day 6 AND 7

THE GOOD:
  • First week of the challenge is complete - only 210km to go. Mega YAY though I have no idea HOW I'm going to keep this up for another THREE weeks. I am SPENT/ verging on crazy delirium.

  • I had my best ever SOLO 10km run EVER yesterday: 1 hour 8 mins which included LOTS of long, and dare I say it, COMFORTABLE run sections (though it was not without an unfortunate incident - see The Bad) 

Route of my near perfect 10km solo run

 Corresponding Nike Run Profile - getting better at this running continuously thing
  • I've already got two sponsors for my Action Duchenne (Muscular Dystrophy) LOVE Run this Saturday - THANK you Sophie and the Hare.  I would love to raise £100 for this Brilliant Charity - FYI they even called me on Friday to check I had my Race Pack - how AMAZING is that - a total race first?! To find out more about Action Duchenne and the work they do check here.  EVEN better, pledge a couple of pounds and visit my donation page.   GOOD karma and lots of LOVE guaranteed to all who help me get to my target. 

  • I've made it to Nike's Orange Level - whatever that means - Apparently I'M AN A.T.H.L.E.T.E!!        

THE BAD:
  • Yesterday I realised how selfish and tunnel visioned this running challenge has made me:  Shoshana and I set off for Sunday Run Club yesterday, battling full on head winds to cross Hyde Park. But after 2 km, Shoshana landed on her ankle and after stopping momentarily, checking she was ok, Shoshana commenced running again but she quickly realised it was a no go so had to pull out. I'm really ashamed to admit this, but after seeing if she was really ok - no blood/bone poking out I just kept going.  Shoshana I'm so sorry for deserting you - I wasn't really thinking properly.  I have checked and Shoshana did make it home OK. NO THANKS to me.  Shosh - I'm serious about what I said about buying you a pair of fabulous "I'm sorry for being a total jerk" shoes.  You and me are off to Selfridges for me to apologise properly.

  • I weighed myself yesterday to discover that I have put on 4lbs - IN A WEEK.  Time to cut out the crisps, pasta and cheese that this running has fooled me into thinking is ok and remember what a vegetable is.

  • After two days of brilliant 10kms, today's 10km run was heart stoppingly AWFUL and 1 hour 18 mins long - I was really crawling along/ getting my comeuppance for yesterday's bad behaviour.  I'm really suffering with tiredness (after getting up at seven am today, completing a job application, I went back to bed till eleven (the joys of redundancy!!) BUT I STILL feel knackered) Additionally both my quads and hamstrings have ceased up MASSIVELY making running REALLY tough going/ a tad ouchy.  This is despite spending 15 mins post yesterday's run stretching everything out properly TWICE and thinking I'd made a good job of it.


Whilst it looks like I gave up running multiple times, I like to think that I kept forcing myself to run when I literally didn't have any more run in me ;-))



THE UGLY:
  • I was hoping I wouldn't need to resort to this until at least the three week mark but it's no good - my leg muscles need desperate assistance recovering from these runs so it's time to try an ICE BATH.  I want to emphasise that I'm not a fan of the cold unless I'm skiing. I hyperventilate when I'm 10 feet away from cold water and I'm also really susceptible to pneumonia. Actually I'm shivering just typing this but unfortunately needs must. So warning you now, if you hear a high pitched wail from the NW6 region - don't panic - it's just me freezing slowly.




If you don't hear from me tomorrow - also don't panic - I'll just still be trying to prise my frozen arse off what I'm sure is a metal bath, in our flat. xx





p.s. Please do donate a few pennies to Action Duchenne - this challenge is seriously testing me. No joke. ;-)) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment