Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Busted


Discounting the five mins of attempted running yesterday morning, I have not done any running since Saturday’s LOVErun. Ergo, the future of Februlous hangs precariously in the balance. I did wake up yesterday morning with the intention that as I’m now halfway through February, my revised goal would now be to match my current 100km achievement and so complete 20 x 10km runs in total during February. Sensibly and as I've learnt first hand, recovery days from running are not optional. 

As you might already have guessed – yesterday's run was a complete bust. In fact I was completely BUSTED as Lucinda spotted me walking in Hyde Park. Although I can legitimately say that my knees are still not great, my left hip is a bit sore and my lower shins have now started to play up and twinge bizarrely when I’m sitting down. {All despite procuring and testing the most extensive haul of bandages, ice bandages, cool patches, and joint cream that I hadn’t realised existed – nothing has as yet made much difference. In fact I’m perplexed at the origin of the shin pains as they only manifested once I put the running on hiatus}. However it’s mentally where I’ve taken the biggest step back.

I have been SULKING BIG TIME - that I can't run, that my knees hurt, that I have failed my challenge, that I am still a hopelessly slow runner, that getting off my butt requires so much effort. Fortunately most of the whinging has been internal, except for one text message I sent yesterday - sorry about that Luc.

Just because I couldn't train, I also gave myself license to forgo any and all principles of healthy moderate eating/ eating anything that isn’t a Babybel (miniature cheese), crackers or cereal. That, combined with struggling to find any enthusiasm or energy to get off my tush is my own recipe for disaster. Kid you not – just putting my trainers on and walking out the front door has taken serious willpower over the last few days. Monday I got as far as putting my trainers on before I sat down again FOR THE REST OF THE DAY.

Yesterday and today, I thankfully did make it out of my front door and walked c.8km to see if more gentle exercise would alleviate some of the joint pain and help offset my miraculous and almost instantaneous transformation into a full-size Babybel!

Getting and staying active is my key to a happy mental state. When I forgot this - fortunately  I read this. It proved to be just what I needed - a good kick up the backside - this lady doesn't mince her words!! Proof that my sulking is receeding: This morning I TRXed like a demon alongside PT - no running required. Woop.

Februlous isn't over as February isn't yet over but I clearly need to pare my ambitions down - A LOT. But most of all I need to readjust my mindset - slow running and short runs doesn't mean hopeless running. Furthermore giving in to pain isn't a weakness.

Februlous continues on one condition: NO MORE SULKING xx

p.s. The LOVEhearts race times, if you're interested, courtesy of AJ - told you she's AMAZING!  Before anyone thinks I came last, I was actually 37th from last. THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE - honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment