Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wanted: Grace

For the second day in a row, I awoke a little after 5am - contrary to my general knackeredness this exercise marlarky seems to be tricking my body clock into thinking I need less sleep not more. Hopefully the shift to British Summer Time tonight will trick my internal clock back onto more sociable hours - here's hoping. But awake, I only had one thing in mind - no not that, or that (minds out of the gutter please), instead I was craving a massage as my whole body was still aching like crazy.  One of my favourite massages is by Elmis as they have AMAZING heated water beds and its like being snuggled in a cocoon.  However having checked my bank balance last night in celebration of pay day, it is sadly very clear that such luxuries will not be on the horizon anytime soon. So I made do with a very hot shower and a quick rub down with Cowshed's Knackered Cow Body Oil which was similarly restorative and then feeling a little better I hauled myself off to Milton Keynes for a Children's Charity Committee Meeting where I am a Trustee.

Fast forward 6 hours - I got home to discover a letter confirming my place on the Moonwalk - HOORAY.  However I'm ashamed to confess that in my self-absorbed preoccupation with all my aches and pains, I had lost sight of the bigger picture; that I'm doing this to demonstrate support for those individuals and families who have had to deal or are dealing with Cancer.  Whatever I'm suffering now, is temporary and totally insignificant compared to the big "C", which is still too frequently and heart-breakingly terminal. Although I have been fortunate not to know anyone personally fighting Breast Cancer, I do have a personal reason for doing the Moonwalk - namely to show my respect for a very unique lady and mother of two young boys who dealt with her terminal cancer prognosis publically, (and as a result has single-handedly reversed the U.K's falling cervical screening uptake among young women and so prevented many other women from meeting a similar fate) but most importantly she did so with exceptional COURAGE and GRACE.

R.I.P Jade x

No comments:

Post a Comment