Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Winter is my Kryptonite


It's mid-week and first time in a long time I'm really struggling with the exercise/ nutrition and point of it all. I am majorly regressing. I have only done one exercise session this week and less than 5 miles walking total. This is not like Girl on a Mission AT ALL.

But MORE than that I can feel just how easy it is to slip back into "the can't be bothered to walk anywhere, do anything" habits of old.  The dark mornings and dark nights are no fun and they are definitely sapping me of my mission motivation.  Added to that I'm getting the hibernation munchies BIG TIME - I've stuck with the PALEO regime to a "T" although NO-ONE needs to eat the amount of nuts I've squirrelled away in the last two days. Nutty Overeaters Anonymous had better save me a seat for when the PALEO adventures are complete.

The high point of today was despite this afternoon's five hour long meeting and going to get supplies for the group, namely cakes and biscuits and some apples (the onsite shop was really limited), I just had an apple and tuned out to ALL the sugary treats, even though they were right in front of me, taunting me for hours.  That's one gold star to make up for the lack of exercise this week at least. 

Plus in my little social experiment, (well five hours is a really LOOOOOOONG time for a meeting!!!!); me, on my nicoise salad (minus potatoes) and an apple, was probably one of the handful in the group who were still mentally alert at the 4 hours 59 minute mark (and believe me that meeting was more than a tad comatastic). On the other hand those sugar slumps and the constant need to keep refueling with MORE biscuits etc were REALLY plain to see.

{My name is Girl on a Mission and I am a sugar temptress to all who befall me?!}

The biggest thing I'm missing from my bi-daily walks and workout session is the HEADSPACE, sense of CALM and the PERSPECTIVE that really all the little annoyances of the day are just that: little, to be overcome with a smile then dismissed.

After nearly three days of inactivity I'm feeling my pressures of work etc building - I feel as though I'm having one of those weeks where I'm trying to schedule what work I can do in the 30 minutes before I get dressed in the morning, what to review on the tube before getting to my desk, when I'll have an opportunity to grab a snack, take a breath etc. I know this is psychological, brought on by not getting outside and switching off enough so I'm off to bed tonight at 9pm - no excuses and will be back walking the full distance to work first thing tomorrow morning WITHOUT FAIL. Hopefully in the dark, I will not bump into whoever stabbed that poor guy in Murder Vale yesterday cos that would really make this week suck.

On that note, I can't decide if I should invest in some high vis clothing and lights (PINK of course!!!) to get me through the winter and to ensure no bikes run into me or whether I should stay a little more incognito and hidden to would-be psychotics with knives/axes/guns/bad tempers. (I live in a nice part of London - honest!)  Thoughts???? xx

By Rflex 360: Sure I'd look cool in these!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment