Sunday, October 31, 2010

Running (Wo)Man

Well the results of the 6 week Running School course are in and fortunately I have proof as the results are NOT to be believed!! Talk about a running transformation: from Queen of the Shuffle to Usain Bolt (for those 30 seconds anyway!!):

To confirm - both of these clips are me running at the same speed - so it's doubly SHOCKING how different they are!

Lovely Emma from the Running School was convinced that my 3lb weight loss over the 6 week course is obvious from the vidoe. LOVE HER!!! For me, it's the definition in/ use of the legs that I'M HEARTING.

I do have to admit that on the whole the running is not going quite as well as I'd like. I now know and can execute the correct/ perfect form - when I don't get lazy with my picking up my right leg or stop driving my arms from laziness/ tiredness. For me, running like this takes A LOT of mental effort as well as physical, although the results are totally WORTH IT (see above). However just keeping up perfect form for even 40 seconds at a time is pretty hard work, so much so, I can't EVEN imagine running a whole km like this let alone 10km next Saturday.

One of the other Running School trainers I was speaking to recently said a) that it takes about 10 weeks for the stamina/ consistent running form to really kick in and for it to really start to feel more effortless and b) not to worry about reverting back to your old style of running - just select a mental cue eg a silver car, so that everytime you see or pass a silver car you think about picking up your heels and driving your arms - eventually this mental cue becomes automatic.

What about when you don't have 4 weeks and there are no silver cars in the park where you run??!!

But really the biggest problem at the moment is that I'm avoiding ANY running like the plague - I had a couple of disasterous runs last weekend - where I was basically just totally out of breath and DYING so mentally I don't want to consider going through that HELL again. I have ZERO confidence that I even deserve to get around the 10km route next Saturday after the little effort I've put into training (Running School Lessons aside), let alone being able to run it well in the 55 mins I would like to complete the course. The quicker it's over, the better!!

Talk about losing focus so close to the finish line!!! xx

p.s. I think this current defeatist attitude is partly related to yesterday's birthday dress dressing room saga - I have selected a hot dress which I love - but sadly me in it is pretty average :-((.  Maddeningly it appears I still have lots of work to do - mostly my arms and as EVER my abdomen - but what's new?! By the time my Birthday comes around I won't care, but staring in the mirror yesterday, it was a bit of a shock to see how far I still have to go. Hopefully it's nothing a fake tan can't remedy, as comfort eating on Paleo is ABSOLUTELY, CATEGORICALLY NO FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment