Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wake Up Call

It’s exactly one week now till Commando Challenge – the real shebang. I am so excited about it but I’m also feeling a bit down, generally a little overtired and quietly petrified that I’m setting myself up for a big FAT failure right now.

On Wednesday, we had our last Commando Challenge Training Session – which Mo from Army Bootcamp Fitness really pulled out alllllllll the stops for – though really, the two hour deluge was a bit much!!! Anyway the girls were beyond brilliant, running and carrying ridiculously heavy body bars and Gerry Cans simultaneously over muddy terrain in torrential rain AND the dark, dropping to push ups/ burpees (30 at a time!!! Really!) and other blindfold craziness as and when ordered.

Seriously, unbelievably BEYOND awesome. I can't believe I even get to train with these girls.

They even did this all with a smile on their faces and shouting encouraging words – Really I should have been paying them not Mo! especially since they've probably only just managed to dry off, four days later.

However on Wednesday, I also realised just how ridiculously out of my depth I am – yes I’ve done the preparation and I even ran a full 10 km without stopping with AJ just three days previously. But I've also been blessed with a lung condition that doesn’t always play ball. Seriously I couldn’t even run 200 meters on Wednesday without needing to walk – I was so happy that it was dark and raining because I really did have tears. I felt so helpless, so unfit and ready to lie down and die. Two hours of rain does that to a girl.

I hate making allowances for having a lung condition which basically halves my lung capacity so generally, as a rule I don’t; I take my medication, stay away from people who look like they have some infectious plague or smoke, laugh when people comment that I have a smoker’s cough/cold and just get on with it.

On Wednesday, despite running 10 km on Sunday with AJ and acing some of the sprints at Monday evening’s Learn to Run, doing no exercise on Tuesday (due to work craziness) meant that by Wednesday – I basically taken a massive 10 steps back fitness wise. I've been doing so well fitness wise, that I’d forgotten how rubbish my lungs are sometimes. I am SO murderously jealous of people that can take up running on a Monday and be running 8km no probs by Wednesday. It has taken me 26 weeks to achieve something similar. I feel so ridiculous that that’s the case. But it's true and even then there’s no guarantee that just because I managed it once that I’ll manage it again, on demand. I’d forgotten this small print to being me.

Anyway my priority this week is just to maximise my chances of getting over the finish line of Commando Challenge next Sunday with my team and to prove all those Doctors wrong who said I could never be a Marine.

To hopefully up the odds that I won’t let my team down and compromise all their hard work, dedication and effort, this week I’m just going to make sure that:

1. I stay as active as possible (despite continuing work craziness where they’ve finally decided THIS is the week I should step up and negotiate returning a NICU baby from Scotland when no one can afford to pay for this heli-transfer, present to the Chief Exec on a target I’ve discovered we have no way of reaching, and CHAIR a quarterly contract management meeting when I’m the youngest person in the room by at least 15 years. Really it had to be this week?)

Activity-wise this is what I have planned this week:
a. Pink Aerobics 3 hour Aerobatron this afternoon in Hyde Park for Breast Cancer
b. 3 box-fit Bootcamp sessions
c. 3 SuperChick Sessions
d. 1 Learn to Run Session, Wednesday Run 5-7km and Running School Session on Saturday

2. Get as much sleep as humanly possible – I’m aiming to be in bed by 9.30pm EVERY night – so if I don’t get back to anyone as quickly as I should – I’m not ignoring you – I just have a reduced number of hours in the day to get everything done.

3. Try to eat something other than sandwiches and cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner and take lots of Vitamins.

4. Try not to cry. Whatever happens.

The rest is out of my hands. Self-confessed control freak that I am. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment