Monday, September 27, 2010

Run off my feet


I’m not sure what happened but somehow without really realising it, I suddenly feel like a fully fledged runner – either I seem to be running, be scheduling my next run, having a running lesson, flicking through a running fitness magazine, checking out running clubs and MOST AMAZINGLY I can even RUN for an hour non-stop without having a panic attack either pre, during or post run. (as AJ can testify)

Definitive signs that running is truly getting easier and more bearable:

a) I can run for more than 10 minutes without becoming totally puffed or needing to worry about passing out – breathing seems to happen now all by itself. TRULY AMAZING.

b) I can manage some semblance of conversation, though admittedly its mostly one or two liners.

c) I can run 10km without my ipod to force my legs to keep going

d) I no longer HAVE to count trees, lamposts or parking meters just to keep me running a little bit further.

e) I consciously think about my technique – and attempt to keep driving my arms and picking up my heels all throughout the run.

f) Sometime I even manage all of the above simultaneously!!

I have to admit that I still don’t LOVE, LOVE, LOVE running – it is hard work and my knees are a bit too creaky but par example, running in tandem with AJ along the Thames yesterday morning in the cool Autumn air, dressed in my woolly hat with my pom pom on the top acting as a metronome and knowing that we were on track for a GREAT 1km time and that we weren't feeling beyond knackered or struggling too much is an AWESOME feeling. More so as it’s one I never thought I’d ever feel.

However I know I still have a long way to go:

a) Not be overtaken quite so much particularly by seemingly fast walkers

b) Running in the cold and mastering breathing in freezing cold air without my lungs dying

c) To achieve my 50min 10 km time by the end of October (this will probably require tricking AJ as she’s working towards a 60 min 10km - ho hum)

d) Sort out my creaky knees

e) Sustain my running technique and ensure that it becomes second nature

f) Run to work 3 times a week, i.e. run 10 km non-stop without AJ there to stop me from just walking

g) Start thinking about signing up for a ½ Marathon (Jen and TP aced at their 1/2 Marathon this weekend – BIG whoop to you both)

Clearly I still have lots to learn so its back to school I go - today is the first of the five SuperChick "Learn to Run Sessions" in the build up to SuperChick's own 10km race in October and happily, I finally feel as though I might just enjoy this running course rather than be petrified out of my mind and desperately not wanting to turn up, like the previous "Learn to Run" course I did earlier this year.

Never fear though, some things will never change: after yesterday’s 10km onslaught, I will be in my customary position right at the back of the class, huffing and puffing, and seeming to drag myself along the pavement - but you know what I DON’T CARE – hopefully I can help spur on anyone else who’s at the back as I know EXACTLY how awful it feels to be starting out and how after 90 seconds you realise you’ve just made the worst mistake EVER but it’s too late to escape and just want to burst into tears/die.

Yesterday I managed to run 10 km non-stop for the FIRST TIME EVER (ironically, this is despite having already entered two10km races this year!!) AND still be on talking terms with Amazing Jo at the end of it. I’m literally the world’s MOST RELUCTANT runner, so if I can do this, believe me, absolutely anyone can. The woolly hat is optional!

See you tonight any SuperChick newbie runners – can’t wait. x

No comments:

Post a Comment