Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ben does Ironman (AGAIN)

I'm so inspired by Ben completing his second!!! Ironman yesterday (and I can personally attest that Ben has quite an odd/painful looking running style so it was by no means a sure run thing). Yesterday I was dying as I couldn't get any signal at the park all afternoon/evening so I couldn't access the race updates. Anyway finally reading his race summary today has been the kick up the pants I've needed to get on with the half marathon training FOR REAL. Ben's awesomeness and capacity to inspire is truly limitless. While my personal undertaking is nothing compared to an Ironman, a half-marathon is an Ironman to me.

Plus bold move - I've even selected the half-marathon race. I'm not sure 6 weeks is quite the recommended timeframe to train for a half-marathon but whatever IT'S WAY OVER DUE I GOT BACK IN THE GAME (plus 6 weeks of full on run training is probably about on par with my boredom threshold!)

  • I may have put on too much weight

  • I may not have my incredible training buddies to fall back on for morale and running company 

  • I may have lost confidence in myself

  • I may never be the remarkable, funny, exciting or particularly adventurous person I really wish I were - even despite travelling half way round the globe to check this out

  • And I may never ever meet my 'one'


It doesn't mean I give up. Heart and courage trump natural ability and talent every time. Check the movies, heck, check Ben's double Ironman accomplishment for proof.

The world is full of incredible people with incredible dreams who just remember to show up.

So following in their footsteps, in six short weeks, on the 18th September, I am determined that half-marathon glory will be mine.

Thanks Ben. And thanks Hannah for making the bet! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment