Monday, May 30, 2011

Geeks of Doom Invade Your Inbox

Geeks of Doom Invade Your Inbox

Link to Geeks of Doom

Geek Gear: Stephen Colbert Tribute Shirt ‘King Colbert’

Posted: 30 May 2011 05:34 AM PDT

Stephen Colbert Tribute Shirt 'King Colbert'

The $10 t-shirt deal of the day over at RIPT Apparel is a Stephen Colbert tribute called "King Colbert" by artist AJ Paglia.

The sale at RIPT began today, Monday, May 30, 2011, at midnight CST, and will continue for 24 hours from then, and once it's over, it will not be sold on the site anymore [...]

DVD Review: Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX

Posted: 29 May 2011 06:03 PM PDT

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX DVD

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XX
DVD
Directed by Kevin Murphy
Starring Joel Hodgson, Michael J. Nelson
Shout! Factory
Release Date: March 8, 2011


Before I started putting my thoughts for this review to paper, I was trying to remember what movie was being roasted over an open flame on the first episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that I ever saw. Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders? Nope, but I do recall watching about five minutes of that one. Eegah? Close, but no cigar. That episode I watched on a day when I stayed home from school with the flu and it happened at the time I had just discovered the endless source of wonderment that is Comedy Central (in the form of reruns of the original British version of Whose Line is it Anyway?).

I'm afraid my introduction to the subversively hilarious world of MST3K (which we lifetime MST-ies have earned the right to call it) was a mid-90s Saturday afternoon excoriation, all done with good humor naturally, of the 1987 cheapo sci-fi fantasy Alien from L.A. (episode 516 for you fanatics out there), the movie that kickstarted dead-eyed swimsuit model Kathy Ireland's uneventful acting career and was one of the lesser entries in the filmography of Albert Pyun, the director who excels at bargain basement schlock staffed with actors desperate for a lightning-quick payday (he also apprenticed with Akira Kurosawa…make of that what you will) [...]

Judas Priest Ram Down ‘American Idol’

Posted: 29 May 2011 08:40 AM PDT

Judas Priest

I despise American Idol. It goes against every fiber of belief I have in music. The Simon Cowell Cookie Cutter Factory of creating "stars" really gets on my last nerve. Despite my negativity towards the-show-that-distracts-millions, I can't help but write about it at the moment, because metal gods Judas Priest made a guest appearance on the series finale the other night - and blew the whole show out of the water with a great performance, which you can view at the bottom of this post.

My hatred for American Idol aside, you have to admit that this is a good move for Priest in the publicity department. As reported here numerous times, the band are about to embark on their farewell tour, and making an impressive appearance on a show like this is a good way to get the word out beyond the regular fan base [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment