Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Power of Three

Yesterday was a day of threes - I had three majorly inspiring things happen to me yesterday - WOOP to the 3rd power.

Most excitingly and most relevant at this juncture - I finally got my running groove back - it's officially been MIA since February but since the ambitious 10km time trial (check out the champion-esque lingo) is just six weeks off - passive avoidance is no longer an option.

I cannot even describe how gut-wrenchingly nervous I still get about running. I was even sabotaging myself by letting myself run late (ho,ho) in the hope of having to cancel. According to my Asics planner - I'm already meant to have completed 2 x gentle 2km preconditioning runs last week - but I was too scared to go it alone and fail. So I didn't even try.  Naughty, naughty.

However last night, AJ - of the Awesome Running Stamina renown and I met up for our first race training session - cleverly devised 3 seconds before AJ arrived!! I decided an easy intro was essential and sold it to AJ as a baseline setting session. Thankfully AJ went for it - all thanks due to Trainer Cat wearing her out last night at a hill running training sess. So we embarked on checking out how long it takes us to run a kilometer. Best of three. (Secretly I was praying big time that I could even run a kilometer non-stop - even just once).Viola....


Never underestimate the power of someone standing, watching you run and armed with a stop watch OR for that matter, the power of rest breaks in between each time trial!! You may want to give up and walk cos your legs are knackered and the sheer effort is too much but you don't dare.  Thankfully it seems that AJ and I are still fairly compatible running buddies speed-wise, although we still have uncompatible ideas about appropriate race attire.  Case in point: We spotted a lady running in what I can only describe as "very loud patterned fitted pyjamas" - HOW DIVINE?! AJ was not at all convinced ;-)) But it beat the lady running in her swimming costume.

And just to prove irrufatably to AJ that the distance was a 1km - voila:

Four lengths of this baby = 1 km and BONUS conveniently allows me to heckle AJ half way  through!!

Even though it was a very mini run session - I was left feeling completely exhilirated all evening long.  To round off the amazingness of the day, dinner last night was a perfect portion sized bowl of delicious tomato soup with some shredded chicken. No hot cross buns or chocolate or cream eggs in sight.

Went to bed feeling like a total bikini goddess. Waking up is a whole other matter!! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment