Monday, July 26, 2010

Tour de Southampton


Woohoo - somehow my trip home this weekend coinsided with the inaugural Southampton SkyRide -total serendipity - much to my father's utter excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really keen to particpate in the SkyRide when it came to London all those months ago but I couldn't find anyone interested (yeah, yeah I know, billy-no-mates). Plus there is the small matter of not having a bicycle in London, as even if, by some Herculean effort, I mananged to get a bike up three flights of stairs, all that effort just to cycle up and down 10 meters of walkway probably isn't worth it. 

You see there is also the small matter that I'm WAY to scared to ever cycle in London - I have total respect for those that do but I've just seen WAY too many ambulance crews dealing with the unlucky ones.  Plus walking everwhere I can in London, I've seen too many cyclists take STUPID risks - my favourite - almost taking me out (whilst standing on the pavement) just in an attempt to undertake a bendy bus around a corner. NOT COOL if you value your life.

However I love cycling - sore butt and spokes in leg aside, so I was thrilled to get back in the saddle and SKYRIDING!!!

Another brilliant specimism for my prospective modelling portfolio!

My Dad on the other hand was just THRILLED to be dressed in a neon yellow bib - made him feel right at home - Mr Civil Engineer!

Really this is his HAPPY face!!!

We managed two laps of the 6 mile route - this was an amazing achievement since my Dad had his heart set on one lap but after stopping at the Drinks station for a Powerade and overhearing some men planning their FIVE laps, my Dad realised he was being let off EASY, so hastily agreed to undertake a second FINAL lap.  Second time round, our lap time was even faster - nothing like a sore butt to get those legs working!

I'll make a Tour de France cycling champion out of my Dad yet! x

No comments:

Post a Comment