Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Flying SOLO

Just a really quick post today as I need to shower and get to bed pronto – tres knackered and I’ve only worked one day so far this week! Just sooo excited to have my flatmate back from Berlin that I couldn’t stop chatting and catching up on the gossip.

Yesterday I had the day off and just to ensure that I totally relaxed, I attempted one of my two planned 8.5km training runs (in preparation for my 10km race this Sunday – how could you forget?!) I can’t express how big of a step this is for me – not quite running for running’s sake but as close as I’m ever going to get.

I’m actually quite pleased at how this practise run went as it was my first SOLO run for about two years and definitely my longest SOLO run EVER. Fortunately the training wheels didn’t come off completely when I was left to my own devices but mostly because I stuck to the 8.5km route that we did as part of the SUPERchicks Learn to Run course. This did mean a 5 mile walk to the start line and home again hence the slightly knackered feeling tonight but that’s just part of the fun (or so I’m told).

Yesterday’s 8.5km took me 58 mins to complete (last time I ran this route three weeks ago following in the inimitable footsteps of AJ, it took me 1hour 15mins, so not a bad improvement in three weeks!) Again I didn’t manage to run all the way round but I definitely ran for longer segments and only slowed to a walk about 8 times overall. Personally I STILL HATE RUNNING and given this hatred I just can’t believe I kept battling for nearly a WHOLE HOUR!!

I partly set up the run so that I only had an hour before I needed to get to circuits, that way I HAD to run to make it to SUPERchicks in time. Without this restrictive timeframe I would definitely have just given up and strolled round Battersea Park. Clearly getting myself to run requires a whole lot of cunning and of course complete AMNESIA – though given that I’m effectively tricking myself into torturing myself – clearly the left or is it the right lobe of my brain (?) is a bit SLOW and needs to wise up sharpish!

Talking to other SUPERchicks last night – we all agreed how much running is just plain awful. It appears it doesn’t matter how proficient you get at it – unfortunately it remains fairly tedious over long distances. However we all agreed that bizarrely, as soon as you complete a run you forget how bad it was (not unlike childbirth, SUPERMummy-to-be, – so I’m told!!!) and again bizarrely the sensation of loathing for running only returns when you’re mid run and its too late to do anything about it. Why is that?

On a positive note, the one thing I LOVED about my Monday night run was seeing my shadow on the pavement as I was running along the Thames – this silhouette of mine is shaping up nicely, Miss Sexy Legs– all due, no doubt, to the cursed running! Plus I am not the only one who was impressed by my silhouette – a complete stranger CHECKED ME OUT and not in a “what the freak is she wearing/doing way” – so COOL even if a totally NOVEL experience!

So only one more 8.5km training running on Thursday and a 10km run on Sunday to go and I AM DONE – RUNNING AMNESIA or NO RUNNING AMNESIA! x

No comments:

Post a Comment