Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wanted: Four Crazy Commando Challengers

To all those who have stuck by me through Part A of Mission Madness - Thank You. To any of you who are new to my mission shenanigans - Welcome. You are joining the party just in time - Phase 2 commences forthwith!

{Though I'm aware that I still have to tie up a few loose ends of the Moonwalk mission including writing long overdue thank you messages, catching up on general correspondence (particularly Maria, Vivi and Sophie - really I'm ashamed I've kept you hanging for so long - but I'm on the case - pinkie swear), clearing three months worth of debris that has accumulated on my desk, getting a gazillion sequins out of the carpet and general bill paying etc PLUS uploading a Moonwalk aftermath post from the HARE - tomorrow peeps - I promise! However, in order to maintain mission momentum AND meet an pesky event deadline; I need to press on with phase 2}

This is where you come in. TAKE NOTE!!

In order to get Phase 2 of Girl on a Mission underway, I am looking for 4 courageous (interpret: slightly crazy) souls to join me in a team event on Sunday 10th October 2010, entitled: Commando Challenge.

This could be you!
The event is effectively a 3km run, followed by a 4km assault course and finished off with another little 3km run. EASY PEASY - I know you're all thinking!! So what's the catch?

Mud bath anyone?



Apparently these are affectionately known as "the Smartie Tubes"!

I should probably warn you that there is a little bit of mud and water involved as well as crawling through some submerged tunnels. Plus it will be October so perhaps not quite as gorgeous weather-wise. This is probably not for the faint-hearted or anyone who has a pathological fear of tight spaces (Me!) or cold muddy water (Me!) or tight, water-logged muddy spaces (Me, Me, Me!) but then again as I will be attempting this and I am fairly wimpish, how hard can it be? - I know, Famous Last Words!

Again I should emphasise that this is a team event, we ALL have to cross the finish line together as a team, so NO-ONE will be left behind and, I promise, NO-ONE will be slower/ feeling more inadequate than me. Really I would just LOVE to get four individuals who are willing to give it a go and who won't just give up at the first hurdle - now's the time to locate your inner cheerleader people.

For all the gory details check out: Commando Challenge

So if this sounds like something you might want to do OR you have temporarily taken leave of your senses -get in touch asap! Ideally I am hoping to get a team application in next week.

In terms of time commitments - unless you naturally have the physique of a Marine or Olympic Athlete you will probably need to put in a little effort so you feel comfortable undertaking a few press ups, squats etc and running c.10 km without passing out! However there is plenty of time and don't worry, I am a long way off from this feat of athleticism currently.

Additionally, assuming that I can put a team together - I am also hoping to organise 3 team training sessions to practise the army assault course side of things - again this will probably be a bit messy but hopefully lots of FUN (emphasis: hopefully!) but I don't want to give too much away just yet.

But what do you get in return? I appreciate that this is my mission and there is no earthly reason that you should or want to put yourselves through this for my benefit unless you are a born masochist (and then perhaps you have bigger problems?!).  In fact when the lovely Emma suggested this I was horrified AND excited in equal measures and then just completely terrified when I saw the photos on the website.  However this was also the sign I needed that I'd finally hit on the right challenge to get me to step the fitness and toning up another notch. After all, no-one wants to get wedged in a tunnel cos of their ginormous belly, especially not me!!!

However I can only complete this mission if I get a team together and to gently encourage/ bribe you to help me out, after very serious consideration and to demonstrate a) how much I need your assistance with this and b) to reciprocate everyone's generosity in sponsoring me for my Moonwalk Mission and to effectively put my money where my mouth is - I would like to offer each of the 4 hardy volunteers who complete the Commando Challenge with me:

a) £200 of my money to donate to a charity of their choice (and NO, in this instance, Charity does not begin at home!!)

b) An all expenses paid team night out on the toon as a MASSIVE THANK YOU.

I know that for this sort of money, I could probably ship myself off to a luxury bootcamp for 2 weeks - but sadly its just not my style. (Plus I wish I could justify spending this much on a holiday!)  I also want to make it clear that this offer does not make you beholden to me in any way - it is really just a way to make sure that I give 110% to phase 2 and that you equally have a miniscule bit of inspiration to get training.

If, by some miracle, MORE than 4 people volunteer for this mission - by all means you can join in as there is no upper limit to the team and I would love to have you on board - but I sadly cannot afford to pledge more that £800 to the cause - my altruism/emergency chocolate fund only extends so far!! An invitation to a celebratory night out (fingers crossed I and the still-to-be-sourced crew make it!) however is assured to all who participate. x

No comments:

Post a Comment