Thursday, June 30, 2011

There are Salads and then some!!

Sorry I have been a bit slow catching you up with my recent travels (understand: suffering a little with the post holiday blues. That and I can't find a way to stop laughing long enough at some unfortunate snaps to blog about them). But as I have also been wanting to write an EXCITING post on SALADS (a wannabe bikini body's mainstay) since fooooooooooooorever I thought I'd knock them both out of the ballpark in one swoop. Well at least attempt to!

Understand what I am about to reveal is VERY privileged information - YES I am about to reveal the secret identity of THE BEST SALAD you will ever consume.


will duel anyone who thinks otherwise ;-)


First of all you must appreciate that that salads and I are:


Or until I get into a bikini, whichever comes first ;-))

Next you must understand that even the absolute 'Can't Cook, Won't Cook' type that I am, my homemade salads set the bar fairly high:

This was yesterday's salad a la casa de Justine: 
spinach, strawberries, almonds, grilled lemon chicken with drizzled mustard dressing

Today's salad was yesterday's leftover steamed salmon (SOOOO RIDICULOUSLY TASTY), spinach, avocado, strawberries, cherry tomatoes with drizzled balsamic dressing. Basically I'd been looking forward to lunch since I woke up!! Always a great sign.

Plus pack lunch salads CAN be equally great - these were my daily office staple over the last year or so since I started this mission - back in the day when I had a 9-5 office job. (You all hate me right now I can feel it ;-)) Don't worry I'll be right back with you in office hell all too soon!)

Again spinach but here with peppers, tomatoes, parma ham and balsamic dressing
Adding some fresh buffalo mozzarella to this is OTT good. Perfect if you are having a rubbish day!

SCRUMPIOUS SALAD STAPLES:
  1. Just do spinach - it actually has some nutrient content compared to limpy old lettuce

  2. Avocados don't taste great in the UK so I tend to avoid them - but they do make a brilliant salad staple and Stateside or anywhere the sun actually shines avocados are yummilicious .

  3. Get creative - berries and fruit work really well in salads - chopped nectarines, strawberries and blueberries are all delicious and personal faves of mine

  4. Dressings MAKE a salad but it doesn't need to be complicated - just some olive oil and balsamic dressing works a treat. Plus a little dressing goes a long way.

  5. Personally I always add protein to a salad as it helps to fill me up: Try to avoid fake reconstituted meat products if you can avoid it. Best of all just throw in some leftovers to your salad. On the rare event that I do cook, I try to cook more than I need, so I can put the leftover cooked meat or fish in the following day's salad. If you're vegetarian or strict paleo then add in some nuts to the combo.

  6. Go seasonal: I am SOOOOOOO guilty of eating the same salad combos week in and out so challenge yourself to mirror the seasons and mix your salads up as often as you can by using fresh produce.

You're taste buds will thank you ;-))
    In all honesty I would never dare to lecture anyone on how to cook or what to eat but the 2376 salads I've eaten in recent times makes me feel like I can broach this subject with you all.

    But onto the BEST SALAD you'll EVER taste. Actually I only discovered it this weekend. It was so good that I went back two days later to make sure. Honestly it was a revelation. If I end up on Death Row (not sure for what - decapitating someone with a lettuce for using lettuce in their salad rather than spinach maybe ;-)) I want this to be the last thing I ever taste.  So incredible. If anyone doesn't believe that fresh food can taste not just better, but sublimely better than your favourite junk food - I urge you to just try this:

    Ensalada de Espinacas, courtesy of Manuels
    Congress and 3rd, Austin, TX
    It was UNBELIEVABLY GOOD

    Manuels are actually famed for their Mexican fare but as I like to limit myself to one Mexican meal a day max as I'm not a big fan of rice and black beans - I opted for this. For once I didn't have order envy!!

    For those that can't travel 6000 miles to Austin but would like your palate to experience a taste of heaven, here's the menu description. Best to call your new best Mexican friend and get them to help you assemble the following ingredients: 

    Baby Spinach Leaves, Tomato, Red Onion, Avocado, Chili Ancho Strips & Queso Asadero and garnish with  Toasted Sesame Seeds and a Garlic and Cilantro Lime Vinagrette. Serve on it's own or with a side of grilled Chicken, Fish or Shrimp

    Then prepare to just die of happiness!!

    Last but not least on the salad front I wanted to share one of the most unusual, but surprisingly yummy, salads I've ever come across - which coincidentally I also had this past weekend:

    A No Nonsense Salad courtesy of Beavers in Houston, TX
    YES that is a complete half of a lettuce on my plate!!
    For a non-lettuce fan this lettuce was DELICIOUS
    Just looking at this makes me wish Beavers was my local

    Also on the sustinence front I made two other yummy discoveries last weekend - all thanks to my friend MariaMaria:
    • Jamba Juice - Basically a smoothie bar. Peach Passion is my fave. Understand I sampled a few ;-)). In a land where junk food is rife - it's comforting to walk into a store and know that they only use natural ingredients in their produce. 100% guaranteed. Plus in Austin they are situated right next door to Starbucks so the decision to go healthy was EASY PEASY for once!


    • Amy's. It's an ice cream parlour BUT with a difference. The queue is out the door and round the block long cos they only do special ice creams. They understand COMBOS and they appreciate showmanship. Prepare to see you ice cream tossed 7 foot in the air!!!

    Check this out:

    I was so sad to discover that my flight back to Dallas was delayed, until I discovered there was an Amy's opposite my gate.  That was a happy if slightly sugar high hour!!

    Have I made you hungry? Well then my work here is done! xx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment