Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day


Independence Day started with a Crossfit session - actually a Leanfit session:  Just as I'm trying to get to grips with Crossfit, the Crossfit gym launch two additional programmes: Leanfit and Runfit. My mind boggles trying to decide which programme to go with. {Gym Chief read my mind - we are NOT allowed to cherrypick what we fancy doing depending on the day, our mood and what workout coordinates best with my footware de jour etc}. I want to be lean - ergo Leanfit, I also want to keep on the running  - ergo Runfit but I want to get sufficiently buff to shock my metabolism - ergo Crossfit. Head swivel ensues.

Since the Crossfit session was something with very heavy weights and leather fingerless gloves that I can't even pretend I had a clue as to what was going on; I did the alternative Leanfit sess which was comprised of moves that I had heard of before - SCORE ;-)) It doesn't mean I can any of these moves with finesse - ring pulls are my new arch enemy, that and wall balls (concussion is a very real concern of mine) oh and I can't forget box jumps. Apparently taking box jumps 'one at a time' is the right way to go; I'm just not sure the required 30 sec internal pep talk between each jump is also standard practise ;-))

This did originally say 2 rounds then Crossfit Chief had a bout of evil holiday cheer and altered this to 3 rounds.

31 mins and 08 seconds later I was finally stretching out and chatting to the girls {they were still doing weird stuff with very heavy weights and leather fingerless gloves}. The post workout debrief is my favourite part of EVERY workout. No contest ;-)) Well that and opening the door to the air-conditioned house where I'm staying and then climbing into the shower and turning the water as cold as it goes to return my body temperature to something resembling normal. BLISS.

So leanfitted out, I got on with the real business of celebrating this all-American holiday in an all-American way - cue a visit to the Fort Worth Stockyards ok ok Billy Bobs - but I toured the Stockyards since I was there ;-)) Looksie:

This is basically Texan's Icon - that and the Lonestar, cowboy anything and some unconventional forms of transport as you'll discover....




People really do dress like this here - my cowboy hat and I were in great company today

And bullfighting is a real past-time here. Except it's called rodeo.  
FYI: I was not checking out all the cowboys signing up to participate in the rodeo, I was merely fulfilling my duties as a good tourist ;-))

Road rage takes on a whole new meaning!
I think I'll stick to more conventional forms of transport though





There's a form to escorting cattle apparently

Wait - that face...so familiar, it reminds me of something.... Ah ha now I remember..
Today is my little sister's Birthday and I've forgotten to send her present
Now that's a red rag to a bull ;-))

After my close encounter with a few too many bulls (I loved that the police circling nearby were on bicycles - not quite sure how they were planning to assist if a bull went awry?!), I headed over to Billy Bob's - one of the biggest country music clubs in North Texas since they were hosting a Willy Nelson 4th July picnic. FYI: I have never seen so much drunken line dancing happening in a fountain at 3pm in the afternoon (or for that matter so many tattoos and very, VERY short denim shorts). But then again I have no idea how people can consume beer in 100 degree heat and not completely die of dehydration. After three hours, I knew I was at risk of heat stroke when I agreed to pay $8 for a bottle of water and had a river of sweat running down my legs - it was so gross I almost climbed into the fountain aswell. ALMOST. But heeding the warning, I headed back to the car to check it also hadn't completely overheated or worst spontaneously combusted and headed home for a reprieve.......before......

A classic Fourth July Firework show at the Country Club:
So classy - like stepping into a Ralph Lauren ad especially after an afternoon at Billy Bob's ;-))

Fred and Terri: My very kind hosts who let me crash their family evening

What Fred doesn't know about American Road Trips isn't worth knowing. Thanks to Fred I now have way too many road trips that I want to do and too little time so I'm trying to convince Fred to write a book - it would be AMAZING (he has some great stories) and I could road trip vicariously!! Terri is also a Crossfitter and we have identical pink monkey shoes! So this lady can do no wrong. Plus I appreciate that you've only just met Terri BUT I just have to share that 16 years ago this incredible lady carried a baby to term for her sister. Totally incredible right? By comparison I couldn't even get my sister's Birthday present posted on time - eek. Just give me sixteen years!! Plus it was so cool to actually meet her sister, her sister's kids and the rest of the clan. 

Plus the fireworks were something else.... 



Happy Birthday Little Sis - I had so much fun celebrating your special day!! 

Happy 4th July xx

No comments:

Post a Comment